IESF 2023- Load shedding in South Africa threatens qualifiers!
Even though the South African government seems to be incapable in resolving the national load shedding crises, Tournament operators like Mind Sports South Africa (MSSA) still has to run online championships in order to select a team to officially represent South Africa at IESF’s 15th World Esports Championships in Lasi, Romania in August 2023.
It seems as though load shedding is here to stay, and while it causes major disruptions in MSSA championships, it also wreaks havoc on the economic, social, and mental state of the country.
To combat the effects of load shedding MSSA has made the following ruling that shall be in force with immediate effect at all Provincial and National Championships:
For Individual Titles:
When a participant is unable to play due to loadshedding:
- A Player is awarded 1 point if unable to play.
- A Player who is able to play against a player who is compromised by loadshedding shall receive 2 points.
- Such leniency is only to be applied should the Player have submitted his/her loadshedding schedule at the start of play on the dedicated Discord Channel, and any revisions thereto during the course of the day.
For Team Titles:
- All teams shall be entitled to have one substitute per round on the following should such substitute shall be Registered Player who is fully paid-up, and
- All teams shall be entitled to have one substitute per round on the following should such substitute only be used to replace a Player who is unable to play due to loadshedding, and
- A team may have up two 2 substitutes if a five man team, or 1 substitute if a four or three man team, and
- Such substitutes who have actually played shall be entitled to receive medals and colours as well as qualify for National Team Trials.
- A Team is awarded 1 point if unable to play due to loadshedding.
- A Team who is able to play against a team which is compromised by loadshedding shall receive 2 points.
- Such leniency is only to be applied should the team have submitted the load shedding schedules for all team members at the start of play on the dedicated Discord Channel, and any revisions thereto during the course of the day.
- Since all players undertake to be present at such championships from 10H00 to 18H00, Umpire’s have the authority to reschedule rounds at their own discretion within the normal championship times, in order to ensure games are played, where possible.